Plumbing work guidelines

Unregulated work

Anyone can do unregulated work. You don’t need to be licensed nor do you need approval by QBCC or local government or report it. 

If you aren't a QBCC licensee and want to carry out unregulated plumbing work, you must still meet the minimum standards of work under the legislation and codes.

Unregulated work includes:

  • replacing a shower head or domestic water filter cartridge
  • replacing a jumper valve or washer in a tap
  • repairing or replacing a drop valve washer, float valve washer or suction cup rubber in a toilet cistern
  • replacing caps to ground level inspection openings on a sanitary drain
  • cleaning or maintaining a ground level grate for a trap on a sanitary drain
  • installing or maintaining an irrigation or lawn watering system downstream from a tap, isolating valve or
  • backflow prevention device on the supply pipe for the watering system
  • repairing or maintaining an irrigation system for the disposal of effluent from a greywater use facility or on-site sewage facility
  • fire protection work for testing plumbing carried out by a holder of a fire protection occupational license or another QBCC license
  • incidental unskilled tasks (e.g. excavating or backfilling a trench).

Public sector entities

If you are a public sector entity, you can get the work assessed by a qualified and experienced person or apply to local government.

For more information, please visit Queensland Building and Construction Commission.