Plumbing work guidelines

Who can do my plumbing work?

As a property owner it is imperative that you protect yourself and your biggest investment being your property. To do this it is important to ensure the right people with the right qualifications and experience are performing your plumbing work.

By engaging a licensed plumber and/or drainer you minimise unnecessary risks to your family's health and safety as well as potentially having to incur unnecessary costs down the track.

Speak to your nominated Plumber to ensure they hold a current licence. You can check if a plumber or drainer holds a current licence simply by contacting the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) via Plumbing and Drainage Licensee Register or Finding a licensed contractor.

Work that can be done by an unlicensed person

Below is a list of the unregulated work that can be performed by an unlicensed person, all other plumbing and drainage work must be done by an appropriately licensed person.

  • Replacing a shower head or domestic water filter cartridge
  • Replacing a jumper valve or washer in a tap
  • Repairing or replacing a drop valve washer, float valve washer or suction cup rubber in a toilet cistern
  • Replacing caps to ground level inspection openings on a sanitary drain
  • Cleaning or maintaining a ground level grate for a trap on a sanitary drain
  • Installing or maintaining an irrigation or lawn watering system downstream from a tap, isolating valve or backflow prevention device on the supply pipe for the watering system
  • Repairing or maintaining an irrigation system for the disposal or effluent from a greywater use facility or on-site sewage facility
  • Fire protection work for testing plumbing carried out by a holder of a fire protection occupational licence or another QBCC licence
  • Incidental unskilled tasks (e.g. excavating or backfilling a trench).

For further information please contact the QBCC or Council's Plumbing Compliance team on 1300 883 699.

Buying & Selling a Property

When you are looking at buying a new property, paperwork and searches may not be very high on your to-do list. However, they are very important in ensuring you have a full understanding of the house’s history and any defects, which in the long term could save you money and stress.

A Plumbing Compliance Search will give you piece of mind by conducting a search of Councils plumbing records for the property, including approval details, dates of inspections where applicable and outstanding compliance issues. These searches can be requested by both the property owner and any potential buyer with a signed Contract of Sale (fees & charges apply).

For further information on what this search will provide or how to lodge a request please contact your nominated Solicitor or Council's Plumbing Compliance team on 1300 883 699.