Stormwater drainage

Disputes between neighbours

Problems with overland stormwater flow between private properties are a civil matter to be resolved between the respective owners. Council has limited powers to intervene. Landowners are encouraged to talk to their neighbours about the problem and seek a mutually suitable solution. If this is not possible without a third party, the services of a mediator may be sought through the Department of Justice and Attorney General.

Finally, if one or both parties feel that the situation cannot be resolved through mediation, legal advice can be sought.

For information on disputes resolution, please refer to 'Settling Disputes Out of Court' on the Queensland Government website.


The information provided herein is general advice only. If legal advice is required, you should obtain your own independent legal advice.


Fact Sheet:  SW.02 - Council and Property Owner Responsibilities