The application process

Post approval

Other approvals

Where a planning application is approved, the decision notice may contain conditions requiring you to obtain further approvals before the commencement of any work.

Extending a development approval (currency period)

The currency period is the time period that an approval is valid for, after which a part of a development approval lapses.

The types of approval below generally have the following currency period:

  • Material Change of Use – six years
  • Reconfiguring a Lot – four years
  • Operational Works and Building Works Assessable against a Planning Scheme – two years

Before a development approval lapses, an applicant may lodge an Extension Application to extend the currency period of a development approval. Council has established a Request - Extension Application form to assist applicants to make this request to Council.

Infrastructure charges

Trunk infrastructure is the development infrastructure that services identified infrastructure charge areas in the Bundaberg region. Development infrastructure includes land and/or works for water supply, sewerage, stormwater, transport, parks and community facilities.

Council levies charges against development that requires new trunk infrastructure or will place additional demand on existing trunk infrastructure.

To view Council's Charges Resolution, please visit Council's Development infrastructure and charges page.

The types of development that may trigger the levying of an adopted charge under this charges resolution are:
    (a) reconfiguring a lot;
    (b) material change of use of premises; and/or
    (c)  building work.

Where development requires an infrastructure charge, Council will issue you with an infrastructure charge notice.


All conditions of a development permit are required to be complied with. Council’s Compliance team undertake audits of existing development approvals throughout the Bundaberg Region, investigating current development approvals to determine compliance with conditions of approval.  

If Council conducts an audit of development approval conditions or otherwise receives a complaint about alleged unauthorised or non-compliant development (land uses, building work, operational work (excavating or filling of land)), Council’s Compliance team will investigate the complaint and the use rights attached to your land, to determine compliance with the development approval and provisions of the planning scheme.

Some examples of unauthorised land uses/work include:

  • Using a premises without obtaining the necessary approval/s.
  • Non-compliance with a development approval.
  • Carrying out a development without the necessary approval/s.
  • Unapproved  building work

Should the investigation identify non-compliant or unapproved development, Council’s Compliance team will initiate the appropriate enforcement action to ensure the development approval conditions are complied with, or the appropriate development permits are obtained.

Plan sealing

For development involving subdivision, you must obtain Council approval for the survey plan.

Pursuant to Schedule 18 of the Planning Regulation 2017, a person may give notice to Council requesting an approval of subdivisions plans. Schedule 18 also lists the requirements that Council must follow when assessing and deciding a request for approval of plans of subdivision.

To assist you in making this request, Council have developed a Request - Approving Plans of Subdivision form. The request form must be accompanied by the required fee (refer to Council’s Fees & Charges Register).

To avoid an Outstanding Criteria letter and delays to the assessment process, it is important to ensure the following steps are completed prior to lodgement of the request for approval of plans of subdivision:

  • Comply with all conditions of the development approval and any related approvals (e.g. Material Change of Use, Reconfiguring a Lot, Operational Work).
  • Pay all levied rates outstanding over the land.
  • Pay all outstanding infrastructure charges over the land.
  • Ensure that the plan has been prepared in accordance with the development permit.
  • Ensure compliance with relevant infrastructure agreement (if applicable).
  • Where applicable, collate any other information to be submitted with the application (e.g. Community Management Statement, Easement Documentation, Infrastructure Agreement).

If you have any questions regarding the plan seal process, please contact Council’s Development group.

Contact Development Group

Address: Level 6, Auswide Building, 16-20 Barolin Street, Bundaberg

Telephone: 1300 883 699