Pest plants

Land owners obligations

Under the Biosecurity Act 2014 private land owners must take reasonable steps to keep their land free of prohibited and restricted matter.

Local Governments may request the removal of prohibited and restricted matter and if necessary issue a Biosecurity Order. Where the land owner's property is adjacent to an environmentally significant area, the local government may also issue a Biosecurity Order regarding restricted matter.

Landholders can access the Grow Me Instead website, an initiative of the Nursery and Garden Industry Australia (NGIA) identifying invasive plants and their native alternatives.

Grow Me Instead

Biosecurity order

A Biosecurity Order is designed to notify land owners of prohibited or restricted matter on their land that require removal under the Act. The Biosecurity Order will identify:

•    the land and pest to which it relates, 
•    the environmentally significant area (if appropriate),
•    the action the owner must take against the pest ,
•    the compliance period the owner has to take the action.

An authorised person may enter the land, without further notice, to ensure or monitor compliance with the Biosecurity Order. The owner may ask to extend the compliance period or change the required action within 14 days after receiving the Order. It is an offence to fail to comply with a Biosecurity Order.

If you wish to report a suspected weed on your property please contact the Land Protection Officers at Bundaberg Regional Council on 1300 883 699 for action and advice.


Weeds of South East QLD App

Download now

Report a pest animal or plant

Report here