Water meters

I have a water leak, what can I do?

All leaks, including concealed leaks, on private property are the property owner's responsibility to investigate and repair. All water pipes and fittings from the water meter on to private property are the property owner's responsibility to maintain. Please refer to image (below).

Property pipes responsibility graphic

To stop water being wasted on your property if you have a leak, you can temporarily turn the stop tap off at your water meter. Ensure that all taps are turned off and appliances which use water, are not in operation to avoid any damage.

You may be eligible to apply for a reduction in your water charges under Council's Water Leak Relief Policy. Under this policy, the property owner may receive a reduction in water consumption charges resulting from the water leak, provided the following criteria are met:

  1. The leak must be repaired within 15 working days from the date of advice
  2. The leak must be repaired by a registered plumber
  3. An application must be lodged together with the registered plumber’s account within 60 days of having the leak repaired
  4. You may submit one water relief application every three years.
  5. The water leak must be undetectable and must not be within a building.

Please ensure the above criteria have been satisfied prior to submission of your application, to avoid the possibility of your application being declined through non-compliance.