Rates Pensioner Concessions

Pensioner eligibility criteria

You may be entitled to receive a pensioner rates subsidy on your next rates bill if you own and occupy the property and are the holder of either of the following:

  • Queensland Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans Affairs Health Gold Card - for all conditions

The Queensland Government and Council offer eligible pensioners the following rebates on their Council property rates:

  • State Government - a 20% reduction up to a maximum of $200 per year; and
  • Bundaberg Regional Council - a fixed reduction of $200 per year.

Find out more about Queensland Government property subsidies by visiting their property concessions page.

To be eligible for these rebates you must adhere to the following:

  1. The pensioner must be the owner/s or life tenant/s(*) of the property (either solely or jointly);
  2. The property must be the pensioner's freehold principal place of residence (**); 
  3. The pensioner must be the holder of a Queensland Pensioner Concession Card issued by Services Australia, or a Department of Veteran Affairs - Health Card (All Conditions within Australia) or DVA Health Card (Totally and  Permanently Incapacitated).

A life tenancy can only be created by a valid will and is effective only after the death of the property owner, or by a Supreme or Family Court order.

**The address on your pension card must reflect the property address for which the rate concession is sought. Conditions apply for those who require full time professional care such as nursing homes, including:

  • Property must not be rented and remains the financial responsibility of the property owner.
  • A statutory declaration is required explaining the circumstances, including where the pensioner is residing.
  • Power of Attorney documents.

Pensioners who have previously received a rebate are not required to resubmit an application each year unless their circumstances have changed. Should circumstances change throughout the year, it is the responsibility of the pensioner to contact Council to advise of the changes.

A new application must be lodged with Council if you change your address (i.e. buy another house within the region as the pensioner details are not automatically transferred to the new property). 

Pensioner Rate Concession Policy

Contact us

Address: 190 Bourbong Street
Bundaberg QLD 4670. Australia.

Telephone: 1300 883 699