Australia Day Awards
Bundaberg Regional Council's Australia Day Awards recognise individuals and organisations who have made significant contributions to our region and achieved exceptional results in community service, sporting, creative, environmental and business endeavours. Nominations are open on 14 October 2019 and close on 22 November 2019.
There are two categories you can nominate under:
- Citizen of the Year (split into Citizen of the Year, Junior Citizen of the Year and Senior Citizen of the Year)
- Community Group or Event of the Year
This award recognises an inspirational role model who displays ongoing excellence in their field and in the community, demonstrating leadership and innovation while contributing to or representing the Bundaberg Region.
Contributions can be made in any area that supports the advancement and wellbeing of the community in fields including, but not limited to, education, health, fundraising, charitable and voluntary services, business, sport, arts and environment.
In choosing the recipients of the Bundaberg Region Australia Day Awards, regard is given to the nomiee's achievements in the year immediately prior to receiving the award, as well as their past achievements and ongoing contribution to the community.
Nominations will be assessed across three key criteria:
- Significant contribution to the community and region
- An inspirational role model for the regional community
- Demonstrated excellence in their field
- All nominees will be considered for the Citizen of the Year Award
- Nominees aged 25 years and under will also be considered for the Young Citizen of the Year Award
- Nominees aged 65 years and over will also be considered for the Senior Citizen of the Year Award
- Ages are as at 26 January of the awards year.
- Nominees must be Australian citizens and reside within the Bundaberg Regional Council area
- Awards will not be granted posthumously
- Self-nominations will not be accepted
- Unsuccessful nominees may be re-nominated in subsequent years
- Groups of people or couples will not normally be eligible though in exceptional cases the selection panel reserve the right to consider such nominations
- No weight is given to the number of times a person is nominated
Community Group or Event of the Year
This award recognises outstanding achievement by an individual, group or organisation fostering community spirit or an event which has resulted in positive outcomes for the Bundaberg Region.
Nomination criteria for community group:
- Contributions can be made in any area that supports the advancement and wellbeing of the community.
- Consideration will be given to the nominee's achievements in the year immediately prior to receiving the award, as well as past achievements and ongoing contribution to the community.
Nomination criteria for community event:
- Community events must be held in the Bundaberg Region in the 12 months preceding the awards date.
- The quality of the event, the impact the event had on the community and the event's positive contribution to the Bundaberg Region will form the key selection criteria.
The panel will also consider:
- The level of community involvement
- Benefits to the community and local business
- Ability of the event to increase tourism
- Nominated groups, organisations or events must be located within the Bundaberg Regional Council area.
- No weight is given to the number of times a person is nominated.