The Bundaberg Region is expected to remain a very attractive destination for senior citizens and as such Bundaberg Regional Council work in collaboration and support of the community services sector to meet the needs of our older community.


Bundaberg Regional Council owns and operates two seniors community housing complexes these being Margaret Olsen Place Units in Bundaberg and the Kolan Centenary Seniors Village in Gin Gin.

Applying for Community Housing.

There is a one social housing system, with this system there is a common application system for all forms of social housing, including public housing and community housing.

The first step in applying for community housing is to contact the Department of Housing and Public Works and complete an application. On completion and approval of this application you will be placed on the housing register. All Bundaberg Regional housing  tenants come from this register. When Bundaberg Regional Council has a vacancy the Department provides us with applicants from the housing register who suit the particulars of our vacant properties.

What is Community Housing?

Community housing is social housing delivered by registered providers, including local governments, churches and other community organisations. These providers deliver social housing assistance under a number of programs including:

  • Long term community housing and affordable housing
  • Transitional housing through the Community Rent Scheme, Community Managed Studio Units and Same House Different Landlord programs.

Some providers deliver assistance across all these programs while others provide specialised services (for example long term community housing for older people connected to an aged care facility).

The Department of Communities requires providers to meet certain standards in delivering housing assistance under the Housing Act 2003 and through funding agreements. Tenants of registered community housing providers can expect the same level of service from their provider as they would receive from the department in public housing.



Council also owns Kolan Gardens Aged Care Facility a residential aged care hostel in Gin Gin; Council has engaged Churches of Christ Care to manage this facility.



Home and Community Care (HACC) 

Home and Community Care services are provided by Council in Bundaberg, Gin Gin and Childers. Services are provided for frail aged, and younger disabled persons and provides respite for local carers. Services include a Centre based Respite Centre in Bundaberg (Gracie Dixon Centre); and Community Care programs in Childers and Gin Gin, which provide in home care and domestic assistance, yard maintenance, transport services for HACC eligible clients. The service in Gin Gin also provides specific care programs under Disability Services Queensland (DSQ). The Childers Program also includes Meals on Wheels services.



Seniors broadband kiosk

If you are aged 50 years and over and are interested in learning new technology to stay in touch with friends and family, you are eligible to use the kiosk service free of charge.
Kiosks are available at:

Funded by Department of Families, Housing, Community Service and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA)

Meals on Wheels

Helpful Cyber Safety Information Sheet for Seniors

For further information please contact Bundaberg Regional Council on 1300 883 699 or email