Dog off leash areas
Council provides four dedicated enclosed off-leash parks and one off-leash beach area (Woodgate) where owners may exercise their dogs:
- Lions Park, North Bundaberg (View Location Map)
- Northern end of Fred Courtice Avenue, Bargara at Neilson Park (View Location Map)
- Daph Geddes Park, East Bundaberg (View Location Map)
- Mary Kinross Park, southern end of Bargara. (View Location Map)
- The foreshore at Woodgate - (View Location Map) but limited to - the foreshore from a point 50m south of the most southerly pedestrian access to the bathing reserve to a point 200m north of the Burrum River entrance; and the bathing reserve and foreshore from a point seawards of the most northerly residence abutting the bathing reserve to the Theodolite Creek entrance.
Please remember to be considerate of others when using the off-leash areas. Owners are legally responsible for the actions and behaviour of their dogs at all times.
Dog rules and etiquette
Being a responsible pet owner means you are legally responsible for your pet’s behaviour at all times, so it's important you are in control. Following a few simple rules ensures a visit to an off-leash area is enjoyable for everyone:
- biting, fighting and aggressive dogs are not welcome
- pets should be under effective control or voice control at all times
- pets should have current vaccinations
- always clean up after your pet
- don't bring more dogs than you can handle
- fill any holes your dog digs
- provide your dog with water
- always be considerate of others
- dogs must be registered
- dogs must be leashed at all times prior to entering and leaving an off-leash area. It is also important to stay near your pet and constantly monitor them in an off-leash area, especially in the vicinity of children
- dogs with a history of dangerous or aggressive behaviour should be muzzled
- even in off-leash areas, it is important to stop your dog from causing a nuisance or being aggressive towards other dogs - at no time should your dog impede other people's enjoyment
- when exercising your pet in off-leash areas, remember to take a litter bag with you and dispose of your dog's waste appropriately
These restrictions are designed to ensure optimum safety for the public and our environment. Council officers will be patrolling and may issue on-the-spot fines.