Mulch - important information
How to Use / Other Information
- Spread the mulch around the garden to a thickness of 5-10 centimetres.
- For extra weed control, old newspapers may be laid on the ground prior to adding mulch.
- Pull the mulch away from the stems of trees to prevent rotting. Water the mulch and plants well.
- Notably the mulch may not be composted and still in the “active” stage producing heat. It is recommended that the mulch is spread at least 5 cm away from the base of plants.
- Ensure mulch is not in contact with structures and is kept below ant capping to prevent subterranean termites breaching barriers.
- Mulch or other materials against structures could conceal termite/insect activity which otherwise would be detected by visual inspection.
- Although mulch will never come with termites in it, they may appear after placement.
- Self-load users should pay attention to safetyprecautions - precautionary measures such as wearing gloves and enclosed footwear are recommended.
- All trailers will be limited to 3/4m3 of mulch unless current trailer registration papers are provided to the Gatehouse advising a legal payload limit.
- The mulch may comprise weed seeds that have not been destroyed during the mulching process.
- Furthermore, while all reasonable care has been taken to inspect and remove unsuitable materials form the green waste, some such materials may still be present in particular non compostable material such as plastic, glass, metal sharps (i.e. nails and screws) etc.