Seniors housing

Bundaberg Regional Council owns and operates two community housing complexes for seniors at Margaret Olsen Place Units in Bundaberg and the Kolan Centenary Seniors Village in Gin Gin.

What is community housing?

Community housing is social housing delivered by registered providers, including local governments, churches and other community organisations. These providers deliver social housing assistance under a number of programs including:

  • Long term community housing and affordable housing
  • Transitional housing through the Community Rent Scheme, Community Managed Studio Units and Same House Different Landlord programs.

Some providers deliver assistance across all these programs while others provide specialised services (for example long term community housing for older people connected to an aged care facility).
The Department of Communities Housing & Digital Economy requires providers to meet certain standards in delivering housing assistance under the Housing Act 2003 and through funding agreements. Tenants of registered community housing providers can expect the same level of service from their provider as they would receive from the department in public housing.

Applying for community housing

There is a one social housing system, with this system there is a common application system for all forms of social housing, including public housing and community housing.
The first step in applying for community housing is to contact the Department of Communities Housing & Digital Economy and complete an application. On completion and approval of this application you will be placed on the housing register. All Bundaberg Regional Council tenants come from this register. When we have a vacancy the Department provides us with applicants from the housing register that suit the placement requirements of our vacant properties.