What does Eat Safe mean to me?
Eat Safe Bundaberg Region is a food business regulatory scheme where all licensed food businesses in the Bundaberg Region receive a food safety rating based on compliance with the Food Act 2006, the food safety standards and good management practices. Council has a responsibility to monitor and regulate all food businesses to ensure food for sale is safe and suitable for human consumption. All food businesses must comply with food safety laws with Council inspecting licensed food businesses to assess compliance.
In order to improve compliance with legislative requirements, Council has introduced Eat Safe Bundaberg Region. Eat Safe Bundaberg Region is a food business regulatory rating scheme where all licensed food businesses in the Bundaberg Region receive a food safety rating based on compliance with the Food Act 2006, the food safety standards and good management practices.
The star rating system is designed to provide assistance and incentives to food businesses to comply with food safety laws and to achieve the highest standards in food safety. Bundaberg Region food businesses, consumers and Council can all benefit from the star rating scheme. You can check local business star ratings here:
Benefits can be seen in:
- Recognition for food businesses that comply with food safety laws and employ good management practices within their business
- Higher performing businesses will receive fewer audits, allowing Council’s Environmental Health Officers to spend more time working with those requiring assistance
- Higher performers will receive discounts on annual license fees
- The display of star ratings provides free marketing opportunities for a business, including being listed on Council's website
- Consumers will have choice when selecting a place to eat and have confidence in that choice
Food safety is an important issue for the community. The correct construction, maintenance and operation of a food business will ensure the general community is protected from food that is not safe to eat; ensuring all food for sale is safe and suitable for human consumption. Council's Environmental Health Services is committed to assisting operators to establish and operate better, fully compliant food businesses.
Council is responsible for licensing food premises in accordance with the Food Act 2006 and Food Safety Standards.