Pensioner Concessions

Pension Rates Rebate Eligibility Criteria

The Queensland Government and Council offer eligible pensioners the following reductions on their Council property rates:

  • State Government - a 20% reduction up to a maximum of $200 per year; and
  • Bundaberg Regional Council - a fixed reduction of $140 per year.

The State Government Pensioner Rate Subsidy is not a Council remission. This subsidy is provided by the State Government and does not affect the rates and charges determination. The subsidy is a 20% rebate of Council rates and charges up to a maximum of $200 per annum, calculated at $100 per half year, plus 20% rebate of the State Emergency Management Levy.

To be eligible for these reductions you must adhere to the following:

  1. The pensioner must be the owner/s or life tenant/s of the property (either solely or jointly);
  2. The property must be the pensioners PRINCIPAL PLACE OF RESIDENCE
  3. The pensioner must be the holder of a Queensland Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink, or a Department of Veteran Affairs - Health Card (All Conditions within Australia) or DVA Health Card (Totally & Permanently Incapacitated).

The address on your pension card must reflect the property address for which the rate concession is sought.

Pensioners who have previously received a rebate are not required to re-submit an application each year unless their circumstances have changed. Should circumstances change throughout the year, it is the responsibility of the pensioner to contact Council to advise of the changes.

A new application must be lodged with Council if you change your address (i.e. buy another house within the region as the pensioner details are not automatically transferred to the new property). 

More information: GP-3-007 Pensioner Rate Remission Policy



Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
Health Care Card
Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card
Seniors Card
 Department of Veterans' Affairs Pensioner Concession Card
Seniors Business Discount Card
Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card "TPI" Department of Veterans' Affairs Specific Conditions Card

How to apply

In Person at Council Offices

To apply for the Pensioner Rates Rebate you will need to complete an application form which is available at all Council Offices or can be downloaded using the link below. When submitting your application form at the Council Office you will be required to present your pension card to be photocopied by a Council Officer. If you apply for the pension rebate during the rates period, please bring your rate notice with you so an adjustment can be made before your rates are due.

Applying by Email or Post

Please complete an application form using the link below. If you return your application by email or post you are required to have your pension card witnessed and certified as a true copy by a Justice of the Peace. All applicants must provide a current phone number so Council can contact them if there are any issues with their application.

Please send the application form and a certified photocopy of your pension card to Council by:

FM-7-195 Application for Qld State Government Pensioner Rate Subsidy Scheme and Council Remission of Rates and Charges