Food Safety

Select Eat Safe image for information on
Eat Safe Bundaberg Region

Food Premises

Food Business Licensing

Unregulated food handling and storage is a potential risk to the public's health and safety.  With over 400 licensed food businesses in the Bundaberg Regional Area it is critical that these businesses are regulated and comply with all relevant food legislation.  Food businesses may be carried out in fixed/permanent, mobile or temporary food premises. Commercial food handling activities are not permitted in domestic kitchens.

Food businesses are required by law to be licensed by their relevant local government authority.

  • Food premises are any premises where food is handled - including temporary structures and mobile food vehicles.
  • If you operate a food premises, it must be approved by Council.
  • If you operate from more than one location, you will need to hold a licence for each premises.

Who needs a licence?

The Food Act 2006 defines what a licensable food business is.

You need a licence if you run a food business that:

  • involves the manufacture of food; or
  • involves the retail sale of unpackaged food (e.g. restaurant and takeaway shops) and is not a non-profit organisation; or
  • is carried on by a non-profit organisation and involves the sale of meals on at least 12 days each year.

What activities may be exempt?

  • Charity and non-profit organisations are exempt from requiring a food licence if they only operate less than 12 times a year. These groups still need to comply with the food safety standards;
  • Organisations who sell unpackaged snack food, such as biscuits, cakes, confectionery, nuts and potato chips that are not classed as potentially hazardous food may be exempt from obtaining a licence.
  • The sale of fisheries resources that already have approval under a buyers licence;
  • The sale of whole fruit or vegetables, seeds and nuts;
  • The sale of drinks other than fruit or vegetable juice processed at the place of sale; or
  • The sale of ice, including flavoured ice, such as snow cones.

Food Safety Supervisors
All licensed food businesses are required to nominate a Food Safety Supervisor (FSS). A FSS is required to take a lead role in supervising food safety in the food business. Apart from holding the required competencies, they must also:

  • Have the ability to supervise food handling practices in the food business
  • Be reasonably available at all times the food business is operating
  • Have the authority to supervise and give instructions to food handlers

Anyone, including the business owner, licence holder and employees can be a FSS provided they meet the required competencies and meet the above criteria. The required competencies for a FSS are listed in Table 1 of the Food Supervisor Fact Sheet 18 and are dependent on the type of food sector as detailed in Table 2. The minimum competencies apply regardless of whether the business has a food safety program.

Food Safety Supervisor

For more information on nationally recognised training and registered training organisations visit
Licensees are required to notify Council's Environmental Health Unit of the details of your FSS within 30 days of the licence being issued. You must also notify Environmental Health Services of any changes to your FSS or their contact details within 14 days of the change.
To nominate a Food Safety Supervisor with Council, you must submit a fully completed form with supporting documentation

Council is responsible for licensing food premises in accordance with the Food Act 2006 and Food Safety Standards. 

All relevant application forms can be downloaded by following any of the links below:

  1. Food licence application - fixed or mobile premises»
  2. Food licence application - amendment of existing food premise»
  3. Food licence application - temporary»
  4. Foodpath dining permit application»
  5. Temporary Food Stall Guidelines»
  6. Temporary Food Stall Application (not for profit only)»
  7. Starting a Fixed Food Business Checklist» - Word Document
  8. Food Premises - Design, Construction and Fit-Out Guide»
  9. Domestic Kitchen Fact Sheet»
Temporary Food Stalls and Mobile Food Vans

There are many different events that take place throughout the year in the Bundaberg Region.  Food safety at temporary entertainment venues is essential to ensure safe and suitable food is being provided to the community.  Council's Environmental Health Officers undertake random inspections of food stalls at these events to ensure food safety standards are met.  It is the responsibility of the stall holder to ensure the correct documentation is obtained prior to attending an event.

All stalls selling unpackaged food/drink must display a current:

  1. Mobile Food License issued by any Local Government within Queensland
  2. Temporary Stall Food License issued by Bundaberg Regional Council; or
  3. Exempt from Licensing Notification issued by Bundaberg Regional Council (eg all Not for Profit Groups)

Council fees vary for annual licenses and 7 day event licenses while no fees are applicable for those exempted from licensing.  Note: Applications to Council must be submitted at least 14 days prior to the event.

Applicants should view the Temporary Food Stall Guidelines, Stall Equipment Checklist and the Mobile Food Van Construction Guide to ensure they comply with the food safety standards or contact Council's Environmental Health Services for further information.

All relevant application forms can be downloaded by following any of the links below:

  1. Food licence application - fixed or mobile premises»
  2. Food licence application - temporary»
  3. Temporary Food Stall Guidelines»
  4. Temporary Food Stall Application (not for profit only)»
  5. Mobile Food Van Construction Guide»
  6. Stall Equipment Checklist»
Food Hygiene Course

Each year Council's Health and Regulatory Services runs Basic Food Hygiene Courses. The aim of these courses is to provide participants with food hygiene skills and knowledge that satisfies the requirements of the FSANZ: Food Standard Code.

It is recommended that all food handlers involved with a food business and community organisation who have not undertaken any training in food hygiene attend a course. Courses continue to be free of charge and are held throughout the region. Please view our Food Hygiene Course listing» for all courses and locations for the upcoming year.

Topics covered in these courses include: legislation, personal hygiene, temperature management, preventing food poisoning, cleaning, sanitising and lots more.

Council will hold Basic Food Hygiene Courses at alternative dates and times suitable to your organisation or business (minimum of 15 people required to attend). 

To arrange a booking, or to obtain further information please contact Council's Health & Regulatory Services on
1300 883 699.

I'm Alert - Online Food Safety Course

For those extra busy people who can't make one of the scheduled courses,

Council offers a free online food hygiene course called I'm Alert. Select the image to the right for more information.  

Fees and Charges

Council's fees and charges for the current year can be found here» in a searchable/printable pdf format.