New pet laws affecting cat and dog owners

Pet owners are reminded that they must have their dogs registered by 1 September 2010, and cats registered by 10 December 2010, as part of State Government legislation introduced throughout Queensland.

The new State Laws will affect both current owners of cats and dogs, and people who plan on purchasing a cat or dog. The Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 requires:

All puppies and kittens born on or after 10 September 2010 must be implanted with a microchip by 12 weeks of age, and all cats and dogs of any age that are purchased or given away will need to have a microchip.

All cats and dogs, except working dogs, must be registered with Council within 14 days of taking ownership.

Portfolio Councillor Mary Wilkinson said people need to understand what a “working dog” is. “A checklist has been made to help dog owners identify whether or not their dog is classified as a ‘working dog’ under the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008. All dog owners are encouraged to pick up that Checklist from Council Centres or from Council’s website, or give us a call if they are unsure of whether their dog qualifies under the strict guidelines” Cr Wilkinson said.

Is Your Dog A "Working Dog"?

If you can answer "Yes" to all of the questions below, you may be eligible for the "Working Dog" registration exemption. To apply for assessment, please write to Council and provide evidence to support your request. Please note, until an exemption is granted, your dogs will still need to be registered.

Is your dog kept on land used for grazing stock or cultivating crops on a commercial basis?

The address for where the dog is kept must be classified as rural - this will be checked on Council's systems. Note: Just being zoned Rural Land does not qualify you under the new Act. Rural land for the purpose of the Legislation means your land is used for grazing stock or cultivating crops on a commercial basis.

Are you a person primarily employed in one of the following occupations?

  • Dairy farmer
  • Wheat, maize or cereal grower
  • Cane grower
  • Fruit grower
  • Grazier
  • Or farmer – whether engaged in general or mixed farming;
    cotton, potato or vegetable growing;
    or poultry or pig raising
    (includes a person employed in primary production)

A Statutory Declaration must be provided by primary producer or the owner of the dog who isengaged/employed by the primary producer, which should include information such as:

  • The majority of total income for the primary producer is derived from the property
  • Property identification numbers from the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries regarding stock kept on the property (National Livestock Identification System - NLIS)
  • Other supporting information


Is your dog primarily kept, or being trained, for the purpose of droving, protecting, tending, orworking alpacas, asses, buffaloes, camels, cattle, deer, donkeys, goats, horses, llamas,mules, sheep or vicunas?

This means your dog/s is usually kept on rural land (as outlined above) and is kept/owned bya primary producer (as outlined above), or a person engaged or employed by a primaryproducer, and is used primarily for the purpose of droving, protecting, tending, or workingstock. A Bundaberg Regional Council Officer may be required to undertake an inspection onthe property to verify these skills.

There are many benefits to having animals microchipped and registered. It is the best way toensure rescued animals can be reunited with their owners, and allows Council to keep bettercontrol of the Region's cat and dog populations.

For more information call the Council Call Centre at 1300 883 699.